If you meet certain requirements, you may become a U.S. citizen either at birth or after birth.
You may qualify for citizenship though naturalization if:
· You have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years
· You have been a permanent resident for 3 years or more and meet all eligibility requirements to file as a spouse of a U.S. citizen.
· You have qualifying service in the U.S. armed forces and meet all other eligibility requirements.
· Your child may qualify for naturalization if you are a U.S. citizen, the child was born outside the U.S., the child is currently residing outside the U.S., and all other eligibility requirements are met.
· Note: You may already be a U.S. citizen and not need to apply for naturalization if your biological or adoptive parent(s) became a U.S. citizen before you reached the age of 18.